The Hikurangi Takiwā Trust was established in 2012 after representatives from six pa within the Te Aowera, Te Aitanga-a-Mate and Rakairoa hapu had been meeting monthly for three years.
Two Trustees are appointed by each of the six pa (Kariaka, Te Aowera, Hiruharama, Whareponga, Pēnu/Rongoitekai & Pāhou/Rongohaere).
The current Trustees representing each of the six pa are:
- Kariaka Pa: Pia Pohatu & Keriana Tawhai
- Whareponga Pa: Hohepa Ngarimu & Maria Wynyard
- Te Aowera Pa: Pakanui Tuhoro (Fred) Haua & Erana Keelan
- Hiruharama Pa: Kuini Tuhura & Selwyn Parata
- Penu Pa: Natasha Koia & RangiTangi Bartlett
- Pahou Pa: Nicola Tuala & Tataikoko Ngarimu
The Trust meets every month – rotating around the pa – the host pa chairs the hui and appoints someone to record the minutes.
HTT aims to support progress across a number of kaupapa of interest to the hapu including Te Taiao (environmental), Te Reo me ona Tikanga (cultural), Whairawa (economic), Hauora (health) and Whanau Oranga (social). Plans and projects are agreed on and supported through HTT hui and a Working Group of volunteers – that are both open to anyone affiliated to the hapu.
– – –
Trust Deed: Hikurangi Takiwa Trust Deed