9 Pepuere 2015
Nga mihi o te wa ki a koe, koutou ko tou whanau
RE: Tieki Te Taiao o Te Takiwa – Environmental protection and restoration
Hikurangi Takiwa Trust (HTT) is a charitable trust supporting a collective of hapū Te Aitanga a Mate, Te Aowera and Te Whānau a Rakairoa. These hapu are affiliated to lands of the tributaries of the Mata River including Whakapaurangi, Hiruharama, Makarika, bound by Hikurangi inland and Whareponga at the coast.
We are keen to support local landowners, lessees, whanau and marae with environmental protection initiatives to restore natural habitat, protect flora and fauna and improve biodiversity. We can support your conservation efforts through:
1. Developing a comprehensive assessment of the health of the land, water and biodiversity within our takiwa
2. Sharing and training tools and resources that support sustainable land & water management
3. Facilitating and coordinating technical and scientific expertise
4. Enabling habitat restoration through site and resource specific plans and seed collection and propogation to support eco-sourced replanting of sites
5. Some financial support for costs associated with conservation and restoration activities.
A range of events including hapū wānanga and community workshops will be convened to facilitate this kaupapa. A ‘State of the Takiwa” report will be produced identifying priority sites for restoration by October 2015. Protection and restoration action is the key focus from November 2015 onwards.
This project is supported by the Conservation Community Partnership Fund through Te Papa Atawhai (DOC) and their staff, Gisborne District Council, Nga Whenua Rahui, local experts and scientists and our local schools/ education providers.
If you would like to find out more please contact Pia Pohatu at firstname.lastname@example.org. 06 8648667 or 021 653341. You can also check out www.hikurangi.wordpress.com.
Naku noa na,
Trustee & Project Manager